Thursday, August 16, 2012

I SAW A TOUCAN.

So there's outrageously slow but functional wifi in the Amazon twice a day, when they turn on the electricity to let us Charge the Things (like camera batteries).  Aforementioned slowness (as well as a surplus of Other Awesomeness that takes up our time) will probably preclude me from uploading pictures, but I thought a quick note was in order, mostly BECAUSE I CAN.

I'm *so* glad I decided to have us stay here (at Refugios Amazonas) an extra day.  Originally I'd planned only 2 nights, but bumped up to 3 when my first lodge choice, which is much closer to Puerto Maldonado, was booked, and the company offered us this lodge instead (a 3 hour boat ride).  This is possibly the coolest thing I've ever done.

It is quite humid and warm, but frankly compared to this summer in Charlottesville it's practically comfortable.  It's cooler than VA, but more humid.

So far,  here is an incomplete list of things we have seen in the less than 24 hours we've been here: a turtle that can't retract its head into its shell; capybaras; a caiman; TOUCANS; macaws (at a distance); green parrots (look just like Aries, but green); pirahnas; a deer (at a distance); A HUGE TARANTULA (OMFG); other birds whose names I don't remember, including yellow birds that make these funny hanging nests and these oversized chickens that look sort of like turkeys but all colorful-like; and bats, asleep under a log.  We have also heard at least two types of monkeys, including the howler monkey, which is *incredibly* loud.  And it turns out that parrots are incredibly noisy in the morning in the wild, too.

Photos may have to wait until improved internet in Cusco, but this is a start at least, right? *grin*  I'm off to hydrate.

3 comments:

  1. I've said it before, but it bears repeating:
    I WANT TO GO TO PERU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The green parrots are likely Amazon parrots, the not-so-evil South American twin of the African Grey. They are about the same size as Greys and also talk just as well. Instead of being neurotic like Grey parrots they can being extremely aggressive during mating season.

    I AM NOT SURE IF IT IS MATING SEASON FOR AMAZONS SO BE CAREFUL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also the yellow birds are probably Yellow-rumped Caciques and the colorful turkeys are probably Spix's Guans.

      If you see a large, mostly blue parrot with a grayish face: ALERT THE AUTHORITIES. Spix's macaws have not been seen in the wild since 2000 are are also from Brazil.

      IT MAY BE LOST.

      Delete